Most people tend to think of LinkedIn as the corporate social network, and it is. It is one of the first social networks to break into the scene and gain popularity throughout the world, and it is still widely used today.
Just because LinkedIn may not be as popular as Facebook or Twitter though does not mean that it’s any less significant. It still has its fair share of history and information. The following are 34 fun and interesting facts about LinkedIn.
1. LinkedIn launched on May 5, 2003.
2. It was founded by Reid Hoffman and a handful of others from Socialnet.com and PayPal.
3. 50% of LinkedIn users are located outside of the United States.
4. Every company in the 2010 Fortune 500 list had an executive on LinkedIn.
5. The average age of a LinkedIn user is 41 years.
6. 79% of all LinkedIn users are 35 or older.
7. 47% of college admissions professionals have a LinkedIn account.
8. 55% of businesses in the UK allow their employees to access LinkedIn while at work. Only 47% of businesses in the UK allow their employees to access Facebook.
9. 55% of people who are looking for jobs will search LinkedIn.
10. LinkedIn generates 50% of its revenue from job postings and job placement services.
11. 47% of B2B businesses use LinkedIn.
12. 50% of LinkedIn users access the site to network.
13. 77% of LinkedIn users access the site for research, whether to look up a business or an individual.
14. About 69% of people on LinkedIn reconnect with an old coworker.
15. LinkedIn has over 175 million members worldwide.
16. In 2010, over 2 billion searches were performed on LinkedIn for people alone.
17. LinkedIn has members in over 200 countries.
18. It took 494 days for LinkedIn to reach 1 million users.
19. Today, LinkedIn gains 1 million new users every 12 days, or 2 new users every second.
20. About 69% of LinkedIn users make more than $60,000 per year.
21. About 39% of LinkedIn users make more than $100,000 per year.
22. About 76% of LinkedIn users do not have children.
23. 74% of all LinkedIn users have a college degree.
24. 26% of all LinkedIn users have a graduate degree.
25. LinkedIn, like many social networks, is banned in China.
26. 50% of all LinkedIn users are business decision makers.
27. In 2010, LinkedIn had 500 employees. Today, it has over 2,000.
28. In 2011, LinkedIn made over $522 million in revenue.
29. LinkedIn is the 36th most visited website in the entire world.
30. There are over 1 million LinkedIn Groups.
31. 75 out of the Fortune 100 companies use LinkedIn as their primary source for hiring.
32. 98% of college graduates have received at least one interview for a job they applied for via LinkedIn.
33. In October 2011, 14 million LinkedIn users were college students.
34. On May 3, 2012, LinkedIn acquired SlideShare for $119 million.
Guest Post by:
Jessica Brown is a well established social media manager writing for SEOMap – a group specializing in keyword analysis.